Sierra magazine released its annual ranking of the nation’s “Coolest Schools.” Cool, we must clarify, as in these universities are actively working to create a more sustainable campus with innovative ideas like Stanford’s organic gardens which provide wheat and barley for bread and beer.
In its search for eco-conscious colleges, Sierra found schools improving sustainability across many realms, including sourcing, infrastructure, transportation and academics.
Top 10 Schools of 2012:
- University of California, Davis (Davis, CA)
- Georgia Institute of Technology (Atlanta, GA)
- Stanford University (Stanford, CA)
- University of Washington (Seattle, WA)
- University of Connecticut (Storrs, CT)
- University of New Hampshire (Durham, NH)
- Duke University (Durham, NC)
- Yale University (New Haven, CT)
- University of California, Irvine (Irvine, CA)
- Appalachian State University (Boone, NC)